"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

The Iditarod

Here are some of the pictures that I promised from the Iditarod. Above is my dog handling class learning from a former Iditarod musher how to handle dogs at the starting line. Below is a busy 4th avenue, where the Iditarod is held in downtown Anchorage. The city brings in tons of snow to cover the streets so that the sleds can start their race.
Advertising is everywhere, even on the dogs backs. At least it is advertising for something good.
A dog team lines up at the starting line. When the dogs get to this point, they are pretty wound up and ready to run. It takes alot of strength to keep the dogs from getting a head start of the line.
Avery and I had a front row seat to the race. Here we are with a dog team running right behind us.
Here is the musher whose dog I handled for getting geared up for the start of the race. Jim Lanier is the oldest musher in the race at 69 years old. He has raced in the Iditarod in each of the 5 decades that it has existed. He is in 23rd position in the race standing right now.
Here is the dog truck with the dog all tied up, harnessed, bootied, and ready to go! They are all beautiful dogs and so friendly and lovable.
These were the two dogs that I helped to handle for.
Avery and I standing near the starting line with a team coming through the chute. You like my new coat? I love it!
This was Avery's spot during the entire raced. They had so many volunteers that we didnt really have much to do, so for most of the race Avery and I just sat and watched.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so cool cuz Adam had a little unit in his class about the Iditarod, so I told him you volunteer there and showed him the videos. He thought it was great that he knows someone involved in something that is so remote to him and that he just learned in school!

alisha said...

Glad I could help! I actually have an Iditarod gift to send him. I'll put it in the mail tomorrow!

Cindi said...

thx for sharing looks like you had a fun time