"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My new secret weapon

I have really been loving these little diced tomatoes for healthy cooking lately. They come in several flavors, but my favorite is basil, garlic, and oregano. You can toss these in soups and pasta dished. You can throw them in casseroles and veggies dishes. They add a really nice taste to any dish that is bland for only 50 calories per half cup serving.

here's my new super easy, really tasty, low calorie, meatless monday, favorite original recipe...

Ingredients
1 can of del monte diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
4-5 cloves of garlic (diced)
1 onion (diced)
3-4 zucchini or any summer squash (cut into bite sized cubes)

Heat olive oil in a skillet. Sauté garlic and onions until they begin to brown. Add zucchini. Sauté on high for a few more minutes. Add can of diced tomatoes. Cook until most liquid has boiled off.

So easy. So good. Tons of flavor. Practically no fat. Very low calories. Lots of veggies. Makes a great side dish. Or throw in some pasta. Tonight we had it just as described above along with some mashed potatoes and parsnips. Last time I made this I used both zucchini and yellow squash and it was just as good. Try it and tell me what you think. This is my first original recipe! What should I call it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds really good. I use that same stuff when i make my spigitti sauce. I will try it once i get everything from the store!! Alyssa was so excited when she read you message last night. So she thinks shes really going on day!! Ok so if i put 10 a week away maybe i will have enough in oh....15 years!!! I have a good recipe that is good for a healthy thing. Its mashed potatos made with califlower. You boil the small pieces of califlower and then make them just like you mashed potatos..the only thing is use some chicken broth when mashing them. i use to make it when i was trying to lose weight and i really liked it. speaking of healthy food i have to go because grampa brought over KFC for dinner!!!!

edije

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! I love those tomatoes for everything too!

Edna