"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Friday, January 16, 2009

WE MADE IT!

Call it a stroke of luck....
Call it a gift from God...
Call it a fluke of nature...
Call it whatever you want to...
But miraculously enough...
We made it into Anchorage today!
We went ice skating at the mall after dinner tonight...it was a blast.
Even though the sky looked like this....

And the roads looked like this...WE MADE IT! I have to admit that I had pretty much given up on traveling. We had resorted to plan B, which was to hook up the two way video conferencing equipment in my classroom and participate in the tournament that way. Just as the tech guy was finishing hooking everything up, we got the word that the plane had left anchorage and was headed for Bethel. So, I called all my kids and told them to get their little robotics butts to the airport. Then I rounded all the stuff we would need, including our robot, and loaded it on the snowmachine to get it to the airport. I was driving the snow machine because the roads were WAY too bad to drive my truck. I dropped off the robotics stuff, then hurried to my place to grab my stuff and Avery's stuff and loaded that on the snow machine and drove to the airport that way. Avery went to his friends house for the weekend and Taboo has someone taking care of him, so everybody's is good and happy and taken care of. We had a pretty rough landing when we got to Anchorage because they were having wind gusts up to 95 mph. It really felt ALOT like being on a roller coaster and there were many owwwww's and awwwwww's coming from the passengers and even some hands up in the air. At the skating rink, we had a kid crack his chin open, which required a bit of first aid, then when we got back to the hotel, we had a kid fall on the ice and scrape up his elbow and arm pretty good, which required a bit more first aid. Not to mention that when I got off the snow machine earlier today at school, I took about 10 steps before my feet flew right out from under me and I cracked my head on the ice. Thank goodness I hadnt taken off my helmet yet or I probably would have been knocked out for sure.

Now I need sleep because today was an exciting, intense day and tomorrow will be too! Good night and wish us luck at the tournament!

No comments: