"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Thursday, January 22, 2009

My first (three) moose!


I saw my first moose when I was in Anchorage last weekend. Actually, I saw three. They were standing off of the highway in Anchorage about 20 feet. We pulled over to the side of the road so that I could get these pictures. It looked like a cow with her calfs. They were stripping bark off of these downed trees.Then, about 100 meters up the highway was a buck munching on some bark as well. He sure was a big guy!

Here's a close up...Then, when we got to the indoor water park where we were headed, we saw another buck standing up on the hill. It must have been moose lunch time. It was about 11am.

So, I saw 5 moose in all. All within the span of about 15 minutes. They were HUGE. None of them have antlers. The bucks shed their antlers to conserve energy in the winter.

I've been thinking about the math of all this...would the first 3 that I saw be the 'first' moose that I ever saw, or would all five count as my first moose?

No comments: