"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The real deal

Growing up, we used to eat salmon patties every now and then. Salmon from a can with some egg and bread crumbs. Nothing special, but still a small treat since it was something that we ate infrequently. A little lemon and maybe just a touch of tartar sauce on the side.
Now that I live in a place where fresh salmon is abundant, I've learned how to cook REAL salmon patties and they are so good! Get a nice piece of salmon and sprinkle with a touch of whatever seasoning you prefer. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes depending on how thick your fillet is. The one I cooked up the other day was about an inch and a half thick, so I baked it for nearly 20 minutes. Be sure not to overcook it. The ultimate goal being that the meat flaked apart easily, that's how you know it's done. Allow the salmon to cool enough to work with it.
Add some diced potatoes, diced onion, diced celery, or diced whatever other veggies you have on hand and sound good. I added some diced peas with pods to this batch. Toss in a few eggs and some bread crumbs, then season it up with whatever sounds yummy. I added some cajun season and some parsley to these. Mix it all up with your hands and form into patties. Fry them up in a skillet with a bit of hot oil and you've got some really authentic, delicious salmon patties. We had these for dinner on Monday night, then tonight I cooked up a couple more with the left over mix and put them on whole wheat buns with some tartar sauce. Salmon patty sandwiches. They were good!

2 comments:

Kassia said...

Salmon patties are on the menu for tonight. What a strange coincidence you blogged about them today, too! I fry them in butter, yummmmmmmy so good.

Tamara @ Watching the Grass Grow said...

Yumm...they look delicious. I will have to try them---I love salmon, and I love crab cakes, and this seems like a nice combo. (Might be a good way to get Andrew to eat fish without him knowing it, too.)