"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Music Festival

These are some of my favorite pictures from the music festival this weekend. It was a TON of work, but the kids had a blast and learned alot.
Just to give you an idea of what my weekend was like...I was at school on Thursday from 8am-midnight, on Friday from 7am-10pm, and on Saturday from 8am until 10pm...that's 45 hours at school in three days.
When I got home Saturday night, I feel asleep around 11pm and woke up around 11am the next day. Then I had to go take the music festival judges to the airport and to lunch. When I got home around 2pm, I fell asleep again and slept another 5 hours....that's 17 hours of sleep in one day...that just shows how tired I was.
Here's our BRHS music teacher hard at work. If I was that tired and overworked, I can only imagine how he must have felt.
Students got to do solos and ensembles that they get judged on and can qualify for the state competition.
The students also spent part of their day in sectionals. Here they are having some fun with the woodwind sectional leader/coach.
They also gave several performances, including performing as individual schools and then together as a big group at the end.
Here is the BRHS Choir.
And the BRHS band.
We also had a guest band...The Air Force Band of the Pacific: Dixie Express. They were a really good time and played a couple of concerts for the students and the public.
This is one of the BRHS ensembles that qualified for the state competition. I love this picture because they are having fun! These are most of the students that I will chaperone to the state competition in May.
Here is the combined schools choir.
And the combined schools band....they include students from Bethel, Nome, Kotzebue, Dillingham, Unalakleet, Togiak, and Kwethluk.
The students had a dance to wrap up their music festival. This was the scene at the school when I left Saturday night.
This is such a rewarding experience for the students. And it is nice to have something other than sports happening at the school. Next year this event will be in Nome.

No comments: