"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

3 years ago...


I legally became a parent...not a mother, but a parent. I was awarded full legal custody of my brother, Avery, after a long drawn out court battle in which my mother was proven "unsuitable". Avery had lived with me for almost a year by then, so really its been almost 4 years that he's lived with me permanently. Four years has flown by and its amazing to think about how much he has grown and achieved since then. As I sat at the kitchen table helping him with his Pre-algebra homework, I remembered the kid that used to hide in the closet if you mentioned reading a book. That same kid reads for his own pleasure now and (usually) doesnt even need to be asked to do his reading. The kid that didnt know how to tie his shoes in the 3rd grade is now cooking dinner once a week. The kid that used to be jacked up on ADHD meds like a zombie, but still couldnt sit still because he was so nervous is now a responsible drug free Junior High Schooler who enjoys school, has all A's and B's, is a first place wrestler, and plays sax in the band. The kid that used to miss almost a day of school each week had perfect attendance for the entire school year last year. We certainly arent the perfect family, but I think we've done some pretty good things! I'm proud of how far he's (we've) come!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you and Avery ! Proving once again that a stable, loving home is what every kid deserves so they can be the real treasures they were meant to be. Who knows what he may become in the next few years....

Good work mama!!!!!
Edna

alisha said...

Thanks Edna and btw...I havent forgot about those propts/questions that you suggested. As soon as I wrote that email about not having anything to write about, it's seems I found a bunch of things to write about. I will get to those some day.

Anonymous said...

Alisha, I don't know how many times I have thought about you taking (and fighting for) guardianship of your little brother and how (excuse the corniness) noble of a thing you are doing. If only more responsible people like yourself could be less selfish, imagine the difference it could make!! I too have noticed Avery's change from when u guys came to visit us in NY to now. It's obvious the positive effects you have had on his life!!!

My parents think it's really admirable too, they've mentioned it to me several times.