"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Graduation 2010

This year's graduation was special to me because it was the first group of kids that I have taught that I have seen graduate. When I taught in Ohio, our school drew kids from 18 or so feeder schools and they went back to their home school for graduation. These are the students that were my first group of Biology kids when I first moved here.
There was a tie for valedictorian. They all had 4.04GPA. The did a great job sharing the valedictorian speech. This year all of the speeches were very personal. Maybe it was because the graduating class was a small one, but each speech that was given included anecdotes about members of the class and tales from their childhoods together. Only 4 years and it will be Avery graduating class!
Some of the seniors did a native dance to celebrate their culture and heritage. Part of the valedictorian speech was in Yup'ik as well.
Overall, the ceremony was really nice. I had a huge smile on my face the entire time. About a third of this group, I have taught personally. Another third I have developed relationships with through other things like the music program and homeroom advising. I am so proud of these kids!

No comments: