"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Treats from Anchorage

Ok, so I know it's been awhile since I went to Anchorage, but I just had to share these pics. Bethel is a damp community, that means you can possess and drink alcohol, but cannot buy or sell it. So, if you want to have alcohol, you have to bring it in to Bethel from somewhere else...like Anchorage. So, we stopped at the liquor store and stocked up.
I also bought dog food when I was in Anchorage. Here it is coming over the conveyor belt at baggage claim. It's really interesting to watch the kinds of things that come through the baggage claim in Bethel. Behind my dog food is a huge bag of rice. Everything is so expensive in Bethel, so when you go to Anchorage, you always make sure to bring back as much stuff as possible. You can carry three checked bags, one carry on, and one personal item if your flight is only within the state(usually you're only allowed two checked bags).
It was so funny/strange to see this package marked "ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE" come out of the baggage claim. I wasn't the only one with alcohol by any means either. there were probably about ten or so other people who were bringing in alcohol from anchorage. Now, it's not like I drink very often, but it's just the idea of being able to when you want to and since you can't stop by the store for a six pack, you have to keep it on hand. I think I'm pretty well stocked now.

In other news...it has snowed a little each night for this week. Having snow on the ground really does a good job of keeping the mud in check. It's pretty too...nice white powdery flakes.

I dropped my truck off this morning to get it's engine block heater installed. We will all be plugging in our trucks soon. I'd say about 75% of vehicles in town are trucks. hardly anyone drives a car, except the taxi drivers. I took my first taxi this morning to school after I dropped the truck off.

The carnival/haunted house is Friday. I'm really looking forward to it. It will be fun and I will be glad when it's over. I have taken on too much lately and I need to focus back on my teaching and not so much on all this other stuff.

Avery has been better this last week or so. His attitude is back to normal and he's staying out of trouble at school. He finds out today if he will get to travel to Nunapachuk this weekend for wrestling. He got his eligibility form in and did some fund raising, so that means he should be going! I wish I could go too, but i've got to be here running the carnival games with my 8th grade robotics kids and the haunted house with the 10th grade class. I came in this morning and had a huge grim reaper, lying on my desk!

No comments: