"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Sunday, December 30, 2007

At the races!

There was a sled dog race on Saturday, so Avery and I went down to the river to see the start of the race. All the shrubs are covered with that eerie snow/frost again. It's so pretty, but strange too. This bush was down by the river where we went to see the sled race.These are all the dog sleds teams and their trucks out on the river. The race is called the Holiday Race. It goes about 50 miles. The racers go 25 miles down the river then turn around and come back. The race started at 11am. There were 10 teams total. The winners time was
2 hours and 45 minutes. You can go to the K300 website on the right and click on the Holiday race to see the results.
Here's Avery and I trying to help keep the dogs calm before they are ready to start. Two of the Klejka kids were running the race. Jessica is 17 and is a senior. She came in 2nd with a time off 2:55....only ten minutes behind the winner. Jeremiah got the red lantern(that means he came in last). Jeremiah is one of my 8th grade students. He ran their Bteam (that's there second best team).
Here are all the teams lined up at the start of the race. Some of the dogs were going crazy and some of them just sat quietly and watched all the action. I was surprised to see that many of the dogs were wearing the same booties that I bought for Taboo.
These are two lead dogs from one of the teams. I thought they were the most beautiful pair of dogs I saw. They are just gorgeous. Each team had 8 dogs for this race. In a race like the K300 or the Iditarod, they race with a 16 dog team. I put links up for the K300 and the Iditarod, so you can check out the races if you want.
The K300 runs in mid January and the Iditarod runs the first weekend in March. I'm going to post a couple of videos of the Holiday race getting started too, so be sure to watch them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alisha,

The guidance counselor where I work has a daughter who has a dog team here. Could I give her your blog address?

Anonymous, I enjoy Alisha's blog site. Alisha has often kept me connected to what my daughter is facing/learning more often than what she tells me about.

And if you'd like to rip on blog sites, please check your spellllinq! Oh, and perhaps leave your name!!! (previous blog!) Some of our children are a LONG way from home and their way of life!

Kathy

alisha said...

Absolutely Kathy...feel free to share the blog address with your friends, but thanks for asking. Some people dont understand that the purpose of this blog is to keep in touch with friends and family back home, not to reflect any kind of factual data or political opinion on the area. Thanks for your support and your comments.