"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I thought of something

There have been several people who have asked if there is anything we need or could use that we can't get here in Bethel. After many no's, I've finally thought of something...a pair of computer speakers! If you have an old pair laying around or if you know somebody that does, it would be great if you could send them to me. I really dont want anyone to go out and buy new ones because a pair of old used ones would be perfectly fine. I dont need anything fancy. Let me explain why I need them....there are only two radio stations here, a christian station and NPR. The only way we get to listen to any decent stations is if we listen to the radio online. The internet has hundreds of stations that you can listen to, but the sound on my laptop doesnt go very high. You cant even hear it across the room and if the washer or dryer is running, forget it!

The internet has really become a crucial part of my life, as has music. I have always been a music lover, but over the last few years music has become less and less important, less and less of a major necessity. Since i've been here music has gained its place back in my life. There is just so little here to help keep you connected to the world that music has become my way of staying connected. (most of you know how much I despise sitting in front of a tv, so staying connected that way is out) I really miss being able to flip on the radio and listen to all the new songs playing, but I've found an alternate way to do that...the internet.

Music is very important to the people here too. I would say probably about 90% of my students have IPODS and are always listening to music whenever they can. We frequently listen to music in class. The science teacher next door is a 30something year old who plays music in her classroom almost daily and when the bell rings at the end of the day, she cranks it up and jams while she works after school. She loves music. Music is very important to the people here and I havent really figured out why yet, but I can only assume that part of it is that there is so little else to do here that that must be at least part of it.

So, along with a set of speaker, I would love some new music. If anyone could burn me some cd's, that would be spectacular!

No comments: