"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Fun filled day!

We got to have some fun and adventure today. We got a call at about 1:30 asking if we wanted to go sledding at the sandpit. (The sandpit is a huge hole where they dig out sand to use to build roads and such things around town) So, we instantly said yes. We met them out at the sand pit. I dont have 4 wheel drive, so I didnt drive down into the sandpit. I left my truck at the entrance and road in the 4 wheel drive vehicle in. Once we got there it was much windier than it had been earlier.

We sledded down the hills a few times, but it the snow was falling horizontally and it was pretty miserable. Then when their older boy started to get frost bit on his cheek, we decided it was time to go.

Some other people showed up with a sled hooked on the back of a snow machine. He gave all the kids a ride around before we left.

Avery decided to go over to their house to play for awhile, so he rode with them and I got a ride on the snow machine back to my truck. That was the first time I road on a snow machine! It was fun!

On my way home from sledding, I decided to stop by some friends who have a dog sled team. They said that we could come over and help sometime if we wanted. When I got there, they were just harnessing up the dogs to go for a run. I got to see all the dogs and watch them harness up and even help a little. They let me hold the lead dogs while they harnessed up the last two dogs. Then the team took off! I didnt do much, but it was fun and interesting to see.

Here are a few things I learned...they were running a 16 dog team, they were going on about a 35 mile run, which would take about 3 and a half hours, the team can run 13-15 miles per hour, but when they run the snow machine behind the team it slows them down to about 10mph. This helps train the dogs, so that after running them with the snow machine, it will be faster when they harness up the sled instead.


Their oldest daughter is the one who runs the team, she is a junior I think, probably about 16years old. She is planning to run in the Holiday race next weekend, the Kuskokwim 300 this year, and was came in 3rd place at last years junior Iditarod. Her younger brother(one of my 8th grade students) was going with her on tonights run. They are going to be out on a frozen river for 3 and a half hours all by themselves in about 0 degree weather. Kind of a scary thought if you ask me, but exciting and adventurous. And totally Alaskan!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Alisha,

Just kidding, had to do it, too funny. Merry Christmas! Sounds like you're finding stuff to do in Bethel. I'm still waiting for my luggage. Holidays or not, I hate Alaska Airlines!

alisha said...

Do they have any idea where your luggage even is? That sucks! The only time that my luggage got lost was when I was coming home from Spain, but they delivered it to me the next morning. I didnt even have to wait 24 hours, which was good because it was full of gifts and things I had bought in Spain. HOw are things with the fam and friends?