"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

Last night we actually did some celebrating! My neighbor and her son(he's 16) came over for a huge feast. Since I didnt cook for Christmas dinner, I decided to cook a big dinner on New Year's Eve instead. I made pineapple ham, green bean casserole, candied yams, deviled eggs, rolls, and pineapple upside down cake. We ate and played a couple board games, then we went to a bonfire. It was a huge bonfire to celebrate New Years! A BONFIRE! I love bonfires, but this one was different than any I've been to. It was -6 degrees out. The bonfire was built on top of slough ice(the slough is kind of like a creek that runs to the river). We met some people there from Fort Wayne! It was so much fun.
Here are all the kids at the bonfire lined up for a pic. A couple of them are my students and Avery is on the bottom left corner. Him and his friends were playing king of the hill on some stacked up pallets that were eventually used for firewood.
Beautiful fire. I love the smell of a fire. It was so hot, you had to stand at least five feet away. Keep in mind that this fire is burning on top of a frozen creek!
Avery and I at the bonfire. Of course, everybody had different times on their watches so we ended up counting down about four times, but it was fun. There were fireworks too. The kids let off some and their were some out on the river and others in town.
This was the path that led from their house down to the slough(creek) and the bonfire. I found out that the sticky whiteness that covers all the foliage is called hoarfrost. Its cause by the dew freezing. It fascinates me.
A bonfire...in -6...on a frozen river...with fireworks...and hoarfrost on everything...a little vodka in my lemonade...AND A NEW YEAR! Can it get any better?

Happy New Year everyone. I hope the year brings you all the happiness that you deserve! Love you all and miss you too! Make your New Year Resolution to comment on my blog more. I want to hear from you all! XOXOXO

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Alisha!

The bonfire looks like a fun time. Glad you were able to celebrate. I am doing OK on the trip. Now in San Bernardino CA...a long way from home. I had a good visit with my friend Jean. She is a wonderful lady.

I have been too tired to update the blog but did send out an email to the bloggers I have email addresses for. Sorry if I worried you.

Tomorrow we hope to drive to Tucson. Max (the dog) is doing as well as can be expected for a Springer Spaniel confined to the front seat of my car....

Keep up the good blogging. It's great to hear about your life....

Edna

alisha said...

Thanks for the update Edna. Good to hear from you! And good to hear your trip is going as well as can be. I hope the New Year brings only joy to you and your family. Will you keep blogging once you get home? I hope so. I'd love to see some Florida pics, esp when it's -9 out here. Take care.

Laura said...

Happy 2008 Alisha!

What a way to bring in the New Year.. a bon fire! Looks like you're having an awesome time - your adventures are always unusual and exciting.

We start back to school tomorrow with a 2-hr. delay. Some snow, ice, and wind. You would find this weather quite laugable compared to what you live with, I'm sure.

I enjoy checking out your latest adventure regularly. Sorry I haven't responded more often. Another one of my New Year's resolutions perhaps?

~Laura

alisha said...

Hi Laura,

so good to hear from you! I hope you had a great holiday and got some rest during the break. we have a week yet before we have to go back to school. our break is almost 3 weeks long. it's been a nice rest for me, but i'll be ready to go back at it. you're right about the weather...there's no delays or cancellations here. weather is no big deal here...snow, ice, wind...no biggie. Its so funny how perspective changes things like that.

I always enjoy reading your comments and more of them are always welcome. take care.

Anonymous said...

Hey! That would be great if you could pick me up, I'll be in Bethel around 1:30 on Sunday, but I'll call you. I'll pick up the mousse today. Sounds like New Years was kinda neat. I'm looking forward to the k300!