"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Monday, November 19, 2007

Random tidbits



It's cold lately. It's been hovering around 20degrees for the daytime temp for about a week now. This morning it was 8degrees when i drove to school. one day last week, we got down to -5 with wind chill! We havent had any new snow for awhile, but there is about 4 inches or so on the ground that is not going anywhere. I've deemed my front stairs hazardous to ones health. I just cant find that time or have the tools to free them of their snow. When doing research for their project last week, my robotics team found out that we get an average of 50inches of snow per year. I'd say we've had about 5 so far, so we've got a long way to go on the snow accumulation.

We're going to Anchorage to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday and Avery's birthday. We have plans to do some fun stuff like go skiing, to the movies, and maybe even a water park. I am also hoping to do some touristy stuff like visit a couple of the native museums, go to alaska wildberry products(see link on right), and maybe see a glacier. We will also do some routine things like shopping and haircuts. And when I say shopping, I dont mean the fun mall type shopping, I mean everyday walmart toothpaste and toilet paper type shopping. We are allowed three checked bags each, so we will carry home as much stuff as possible since it is so much cheaper to buy stuff in anchorage than it is in Bethel.

I just finished reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Good book. It has a unique way of making you think about the process of growing older. It is a very interesting account of the circus in the early 1900's. I dont know if it would qualify as historical fiction, but it sounds like the author spent alot of time researching and getting the facts straight before writing. Very interesting novel. Would recommend.

Avery didnt wrestle this weekend because the river wasnt frozen. The village that they were supposed to go to called Nunapichuk is divided by a river. The airport is on one side and the school on the other. If the river is thawed, they can cross by boat. If the river is frozen, they can cross on foot, by sled, or even drive across. Right now the river is in the process of freezing, so it is neither liquid or solid, therefore, they could not travel to Nunap to wrestle.

I had to take my Praxis I exam on Saturday morning. It was ridiculously easy. Ohio does not require Praxis I, only Praxis II, but Alaska requires both. They say we'll have our results in 4 weeks or so. On Saturday night, I chaperoned a high school dance. That was interesting. They had a DJ, complete with disco ball and everything. It looked like a dance club in the school commons. It ran from 9-11:30pm. All the kids seem to have a good time. They are so well behaved, it's amazing. There was no grinding, no inappropriate behavior, they were so cute and innocent. I really like the kids here alot.

Happy Birthday Margina Hoover and Laura Stocksdale! Have a great birthday!

5 comments:

Kale Iverson said...

So yes, in response to your comment, I am a full participant of double standard day. We keep getting snow out here on Nunivak Island. I'm going to the reindeer slaughter house today to pick through some extra parts for anatomy dissection specimens...should be bloody fun...get it? The Praxis I should only have one question "Are you a freaking idiot?" If you answer yes then you are and shouldn't be teaching. It is the biggest wast of time ever. Oh well. I'll try to read your blog more often, sorry.

alisha said...

I get it...and i'm so jealous. I want to do dissection. Not only is praxis a waste of time, it's a huge waste of money. Those tests are ridiculously expensive. I heard the president bush owns stock in the ets company. I wonder if there's any truth to it?

Anonymous said...

The snow looks great, but not yet. Just thought you would want to know that it is going to be 65 degrees here today. They are calling for some temperature drops for Thanksgiving, even some rain/snow mix. The temperatures are supposed to range in the 40's for the weekend. You can keep your 20 degrees. lol I hope you and Avery have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I miss you.

Lisa

alisha said...

lisa,

And why, exactly, did you think i would want to know that it is going to be 65 there? that just doesnt seem like something that someone stuck in the middle of arctic weather would want to know. It was 6 degrees when i drove to school this morning. last night avery and i put on all our winter gear and took taboo for a walk. it was cold! below zero with wind chill. we are packing up all of our winter gear for our anchorage trip. we're hoping to do some skiing and sledding.

miss you too

Anonymous said...

Exactly whose idea was it to move to such a cold, frigid, freeze your ??? off weather. Oh that's right...that would be you. I actually enjoyed our 65 degree weather today. Wore a sweater, not a coat, no gloves, no hat, just a sweater and I really didn't need that. You know I have to pick on you. It's too fun. Stay warm!!!!

Lisa