"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Get your flu shot!

They were giving out free flue shots at the National Guard Armory yesterday, so Avery and I went and got one. The interesting thing about this is that once we got done with our flu shots, we received an interesting card. It's a business card from the State of Alaska and the YKHC (Yukon Kuskokwim Health Corporation) and this is what it says....

Bethel Mass Dispensing Exercise
Fall 2007

______________ has received an Influenza Vaccine
On November 3, 2007.
In the event of an infectious disease outbreak this
verification would gain you access to an emergency
shelter

Of course, they wrote our names in the blank. Epidemics and pandemics are a real concern here. They have many awareness programs and they keep a close eye on all the birds for the bird flu. Most experts agree that if the bird flu was going to come into the US, it would probably happen via Alaska. The Wildlife Refuge department is VERY active here, as is the Fish and Game department. YKHC is the largest employer in Bethel. My friends (who all came with to get the flu shot) and I were talking yesterday about the SARS outbreak in Japan a few years ago and how easily something like that could hop across to Alaska. Then there is our remote location to think about. You can only get in and out of the region by plane. I'm sure that if an epidemic broke out that they would not allow anyone to come in or go out. Kind of a scary thought...being stuck in Bethel during an epidemic. Yesterday, they also gave us a pamphlet that outlines the ways to be prepared for an epidemic and what you should do if one were to break out. At least when people worry about stuff here, they worry about the big issues. You can go to pandemicflu.gov if you want more information.

Packer update...the Packers record is 6 and 1. There are only three teams that have the same or better record than the Pack. For those of you who watched Monday night football, you got to see Brett Favre at his best. Today they are playing Kansas City today and they are beating them 6-0. Today's game and only one other has not been televised here, so I've got to see almost all the games! There are a crazy number of packers fans here. It's great!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Go Packers!! It was a awesome game...unlike my 9ers. We got beat by a team that had a worse record than we did. I don't know what is happening to my team but they need help. lol

What is up with you being sick...again? It seemed like you had a lot of colds or sinus issues back here too. Maybe you need a shot of Jack or something. That sucks that you were sick on Halloween...your favorite holiday. I'm glad you are feeling better now though.

They are calling for snow flurries here this week. How much snow do you have there? I have to admit I'm really not looking for snow just yet. I can wait a little while longer. The weather has been pretty good here lately, so it would be nice to keep it while we can.

Have a good week!!!
Lisa

alisha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alisha said...

Lisa,

Good to hear from you! Did you get to see the GB game today? I didn't, but from the highlights, it looks like it was classic fourth quarter Favre in action. Sorry to hear about your 49ers. I really havent been keeping track of them. I havent seen them play all season, but whenever I do hear a reference to them, I think of you.

We have had about 4 inches or so on the ground, but much of it melting today because the sun came out.

I'll pass on that shot of Jack...I never cared for whiskey much! You can do that one for me!

Take care. I hope you are well and that things are better for you at home.
HUGS

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.