"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Moose for dinner

My neighbor in the classroom next door at school is a great person. She teaches junior high science too; four sections of 7th grade life science, one section of 8th grade physical science and one section of Yu'pik multimedia. Her and I have shared many lessons and ideas about teaching already. She is native Yu'pik and speaks Yu'pik fluently. She is a great teacher and I know this because I can tell the difference between the 8th graders who had her in 7th grade and the ones that didnt. She is such a great person to talk too and fun to joke around with too. I feel very fortunate that she is my school neighbor. We have a door that adjoins our rooms and we talk daily.Last week, she told me that she was going to clean out her freezer and wanted to know if I wanted some Salmon and Moose meat. "Absolutely!" I said. She stopped by Thursday night and brought over a ton of stuff. She brought me 3 huge salmon, two packs of mooseburger, one pack of moose steak, two pack of clams, and two packs of salmon strips. Awesome! I get to have local foods. Tonight I used some of the moose hamburger to make a spaghetti bake. I put noodles, moose meat, diced spinach, mushrooms, and spaghetti sauce all together and baked it. It was very good. Moose hamburger tastes much like regular hamburger except its much less greasy/fatty and a bit more chewy. It's just like venison...I think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really nice of your friend to give you all of that stuff. Sounds like everyone is really cool there. You'll have to let me know what Avery prepares with the Moose. Sounds good actually. I've got some recipes for different things with Moose, I'll have to look through them and send you some. I love reading what you are up to. Keep in touch.
Lisa

alisha said...

Hi Lisa...thanks for the comment. It was awesome of Sheila to give me all of that food and I am grateful. I have been cooking all weekend. I try to get alot of stuff cooked on the weekend and prep lots of casseroles and stuff. this way I dont have to work so hard to get dinner ready during the week. And I use alot of the leftovers in mine and avery's lunches throughout the week. The school lunches here are terrrible. Worse than back home. at Averys school all that seems to be on the menu is hotdog, corndog, hamburger, burrito and pizza. They just seem to rotate those five items every week. Avery ate at school the first couple weeks, then after the lunch menu came home...I started packing. It would be great if you could send me some of those moose recipes, I'd love it!

Hey...I wanted to ask you if you could make me some return address labels like the ones you did for me before. Let me know if you need my new address. I have hardly heard from anyone at school...tell everybody that I said, "waqaa". That's hello in Yu'pik. Miss you... hope you are well. take care.