"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Saturday, May 02, 2009

The definition of fashion in bush Alaska

When we were at the Pippin musical on Saturday night last week, the fire alarm went off. We all had to be evacuated from the building and stood outside. We all waited patiently for the fire patrol to walk over from the fire station right next door. Most people were dressed up fairly decently for the play because we dont get a reason to dress up very often. So here are all these people standing outside in decent clothes (the definition of dressing up here is much different than anywhere else) with their mud boots on. Now, if you are a woman, it is fashionable to have brightly colored mud boots with a fun pattern. I saw a few friends standing next to each other with their cute mud boots on and I felt out of fashion because I didnt have mine on. I think that fire alarm was the most exciting thing to happen around Bethel all year! :)

1 comment:

Christine said...

I love it. And it's 100% true too... my pretty boots are a bright green with a pink inside. Only my boys have "functional" mud boots - the basic black that every.other.kid in their class has... so easily confused!