"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Monday, January 21, 2008

Mitch Seavey WINS the 29th Kuskokwim 300

Mitch Seavey came in last night at 8:09pm. I did not end up working my volunteer shift at the finish line from 12-4 because none of the racers were due back yet. Instead, I sat home and watched the Packers get beat by the Giants at Lambeau. How disgusting. They simply got out played. Nothing crazy happened. The Giants were just better. Our defense just couldnt/didnt do much. During the game, the announcers were talking about how cold it was in Green Bay...-3 degrees...the third coldest game ever. They were saying that it was so cold that if you left a dog outside for three hours that you would/could be charged with animal cruelty. As they said that, I thought about the hundreds of dogs that were out running in a race that lasts two days here on the Kuskokwim delta in slush and rain and cold. I thought about the thousands of dogs that live in Alaska in kennels outside all winter. I I'm not as excited for the Superbowl as I was yesterday, and I'm not sure yet who I'll be routing for. It will be interesting to see what Brett decides to do after this season.

It is still warm here...about 33 above. Almost all of the snow is gone and replaced by ice from everything thawing then freezing again. Coming out of the fiddle dance on Saturday night, I fell and hit my head SO HARD on a car in the parking lot that it still hurts this morning. The roads and parking lots are like ice rinks. All the mushers in their interviews are talking about how miserable the trail was. I'll be hoping for some fresh snow soon.

No comments: