"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Friday, September 11, 2009

Birds eye view of the fall tundra

It was a pretty rainy and overcast day when I flew over to Quinhagak, but I was still able to get some fairly decent pictures of the scenery. I love the tundra version of fall colors. It's very pretty.
We flew over a couple nearby villages...below is Oscarville. See the post I wrote on Oscarville here.
This little village is called Napaskiak. I have been to this village by snowmachine before, but havent wrote up a village spotlight yet.
Here is the Kuskokwim river flowing out to the sea. You cant see the ocean from here, but it's not far away. If you click on the picture to make it bigger, you will be able to see one of the big barges coming up the river. It will give you a bit of a sense of just how big this river is...ginormous!
More of the big river in the distance and its small tributaries, commonly called sloughs.
Alaska is sometimes called the 'Land of a million lakes' and this is why. These views always remind me of when I first showed my friend, Crystal, pictures of the area around Bethel and she said, "Oh my God, you're going to fall off the earth into the ocean. You'll all be under water!"
I think Bethel is technically about 3 feet or so above sea level.
I thought the way the plants grew in circles was pretty fascinating.
My first views of the mountains as we got closer to Quinhagak.
Interesting how that little stream managed to carve out a path for itself in the midst of all of those bodies of water.




My first views of the sea!

A little stream with some fish camps set up near Quinhagak.

I really enjoyed my ride over. Being so close to the mountains made me feel like I was really in Alaska. The land leading up to the mountains was impossibly flat though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear and see more.....

Edna