"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Monday, August 04, 2008

Crazy Weather Here and There

This is what the sky looked like yesterday on my way up to Fort Wayne at about noon. You can literally see the front moving in with the warm buoyant air on the right over taking the cool dense air on the left. I've never EVER seen a sight like this. The sky looked like it was cracked down the center. Very strange!and over in Bethel, they were setting new records...







Record Report

Statement as of 8:40 am EDT on August 4, 2008

record event report

National Weather Service Bethel AK

430 am akdt Mon Aug 4 2008

... Cool morning for August 3rd...

The morning low temperature for Bethel Alaska for Sunday August

3rd indicated a new record had been set when the Mercury dipped

to 39 degrees at 620 am akdt. This edged out the NWS record low

temperature for the day... 40 degrees first set in 1954 and tied

in 1973.

However..historical records from other government agencies from

the Bethel area have indicated the daily record low temperature

is lower than the NWS records. Those records listed an all-time

record low temperature for August 3rd as 34 degrees set in 1928.


So, Bethel set a record new low temp and here in Van Wert, we had crazy storms all night long. That massive storm system that went right over Chicago came through here too. I love thunderstorms. I went around throwing open all of the windows so that I could watch. Thankfully we have eaves that overhang our house about a foot in width, so unless it's blowing really hard, I can open the windows when it rains. Unlike all these new houses that are being built that are just really flat on the side. I've had several people recently tell me that they have to shut their windows or it will rain in the house. I'll have to keep this in mind when I buy my next house. But I digress...

The storm last night was very much an electrical storm. I miss having storms like this. We dont get thunder and lightening in Bethel, although we get lots of rain. There wasnt much cloud to ground lightening. Most of it was cloud to cloud, but the sky was lit up like fireworks exploding and the thunder sounded like the sky was splitting open. The thunder was actually pretty amazing. It sounded like it was in 3D...the sounds rolled across the sky. Very cool!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the video.....very cool !!!!

Edna

Anonymous said...

That pic of the sky, wow that's amazing!