"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sea Glass and Beach Sand!

I had never heard of sea glass before until Thursday when Edije, the kids, and I rode bikes over to the beach. Edije told me about Kevin's uncle who walks the beach every morning to collect sea glass. Basically, it is pieces of glass that get broken on the beach and tumbled smooth by the waves. We collected some on the beach, so now I have my very own pieces of sea glass. You can read the wikipedia article on sea glass here. Basically, whatever colors of glass there are are what colors of sea glass there can be, but mostly it's green and white. I learned something new!
The sea glass and beach sand will be added to my sand collection in my classroom. I have little jars with sand in them from every beach that I've visited. The sand in each jar is unique. It's very interesting. I put labels on the jars telling where they came from and what date they were collected. This sand is from Huron, Ohio on a Lake Erie beach and is made of fine grained brown sand and little bitty pieces of broken up shells, along with some small intact shells.
From the beach, we could see Cedar Point across the water. I can't wait to go! We are planning to go next Sunday. This weekend we are planning a trip to the drive-in in Toledo tonight and a day trip to Put-in-Bay Island tomorrow. I'll be sure to take lots of pics and keep you all posted!

On my blog post yesterday, I meant to give you a Sunlight and Weather update for the longest day of the year....

Bethel...had over 19hours of daylight with 24 hours of visible light. The temps were in the 50's for the high. They've been having alot of scattered showers and fog.

Ohio...had 15hours 10minutes of daylight with 16hours 18minutes of visible light. The temps have been in the high 70's/low 80's with lots of sunshine.

Hope you are enjoying your summer as much as I'm enjoying mine!

No comments: