"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Sandstorms and Sunburns

On my last day in Bethel, we had a sandstorm. I can't believe it's been two weeks ago already, but I still had the urge to share this with you all. Unfortunately for me, this was the day that we were moving out of our apt and had to be outside alot to accomplish that. The sand was blowing sideways and everyother way. I waited until we were finished moving to shower and by then I had sand in my ears, eyes, nose, and hair. It was totally gross.

I grew up in the middle of the desert in Las Vegas and I've never seen sand blow the way that it did last day in Bethel. I tried to wear my sunglasses as much as possible to keep the sand out of my eyes, to no avail. As we were packing my truck full of boxes and belongings, the sand started my make little mounds right inside my truck, something I'll have to clean up when I get back to Bethel. After breathing in all that dust and then going up and down in a plane three times, my sinuses went absolutely crazy. My ears didnt pop for three days and it about drove me nuts. My sinuses spent the next week trying to kick out all of the dust/sand that I had breathed in. It was no fun.

Yesterday, I sat outside reading for about an hour and by the end of the day I was bright red. I cant believe I got a sunburn just from sitting outside for an hour. It was overcast about half of that time, but when the sun did come out it was HOT! So now I have a bit of a farmers tan going on, which is better than my Alaska tan (white as a ghost). I am still really enjoying all of the things that I missed all winter long. I have been taking every opportunity to be outside with the grass and trees as possible. It's pretty windy and overcast today and I have a sunburn, so unfortunately, I think I'll have to stay in today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also went through that when I lived in Bethel AK. This was a temporary assignment working for the hospital, the only hospital. I eventually moved back to Wasilla AK when I didn't have to worry about opening my mouth to talk without sand running into it. I'm a gum chewer so you can imagine how much sand was in my gum. I tried not to talk but that didn't help. It was nice to be back in Wasilla b/c Bethel's pay was six figures but I couldn't take the sand and orange water (too much magnesium).