"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Monday, May 19, 2008

Catching up

I wanted to post some of the pictures that I didnt get a chance to post when my laptop was down. I have a new laptop, but it has some issues too. Here's a pic of the Anchorage mountains...beautiful, eh?Funny postcard I sent out recently. I hope everyone is planning to come on over to my place on Sunday evening or Monday day for bbq, friends, food, fun, and many many stories.
I thought this was a pretty cool pic. I just had to share.
Here is a sign at the airport. You probably wont see that knife in the middle many places. It is a knife used by natives for subsistence living...everything from filleting fish to skinning large animals. I think it's called a Uali, or something like that. Anyone know?
Avery and all the dogs. Those dogs sure did make today more difficult than it had to be. Taboo ran off on Saturday and got picked up by the cops. I just got him back today because the police station was so busy yesterday that they couldnt make it out to the pound. It's the first time he's every been picked up in his whole life. And Bailey rolled in the mud, so both dogs had to get a bath today. Then, of course, they went and got all dirty again as soon as they could.
Today was the last day of school. We had a bunch of assemblies and locker clean out and a picnic. Most of the kids just went home after the picnic. I got my supplies list almost done. I should be able to submit it tomorrow. It's amazing how quickly the money adds up. There are so many supplies that I need.

It's been getting into the 50's pretty regularly now. We've even been getting some rain lately. We're over 20 hours of visible light now. Avery has a real hard time getting to bed on time anymore. He lays awake in bed for a long time before he can fall asleep anymore. The sunlight seems to affect him more than it does me.

Speaking of Avery...he had perfect attendance for the whole school year. He gets treated to a special lunch tomorrow at school and he gets entered into a raffle for an ipod. He is the only kid in 6th grade with perfect attendance. He's real proud of himself! I hope he wins that iPod. Then I dont have to buy him one. :) I also got to see his test scores and he is high in the proficient range for reading, writing, and math. His math score is only 7 points away from advanced! He has the option of going into pre-algebra next year, but I think we've decided that regular 7th grade math may be the better option. So, his schedule for next year is...PE and health which is shared in one period every other week...7th grade reading...7th grade writing...geography...7th grade math...life science...and beginning band. He should have a pretty good year next year. I'm really looking forward to having him up at the high school.

Today was a really hectic day. I'm so tired right now, but I have so much to do before I leave...IN 4 DAYS! I still havent packed much in my house. I have a bunch of food that needs cooked and taken to various parties and potlucks. I have to wash my truck before I pack it full of all of our stuff cause it is crazy dirty. I still have papers that need graded and check out to complete at work, but most of that is done. And to put a great end on the day, mom called and said that she cant pick us up at the airport after all. One more thing to add to my list of things to do. Leave it to her to screw up the one set of plans that were pretty solid. I should have known better. I guess I'm not surprised. Anybody want to pick me and Avery and the two dogs up at the airport?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That knife in the picture is called a ulu. My mom has one that says "Alaska" on the handle. She got it years ago as a gift and it usually sits on the kitchen window sill.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alisha,

Thank you for all of your Alaskan posts. I saw much of Chandra's experiences through you. Avery should be very proud of himself as he's had many accomplishments this year.

Have a restful, fun deserved summer and thanks again. And yes, I hope you're still planning to come visit.

Kathy

Taboo must be going through some old age crisis!