"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Sunday, January 08, 2012

Number 26: Go completely vegan for a week


Over the course of the last few years, I have incorporated alot more vegetables in my diet. I have continued to eat meatless at lest one or two days a week after I made "Meatless Monday" one of my birthday list goals a few years ago. The difference between vegetarian and vegas is subtle, but huge at the same time. Essentially, vegetarians dont eat meat (with some varying opinions on eggs and fish), but vegans dont eat any animal products at all. At first thought, that doesnt seem like a big difference, but in practice it is much different. No animal products means no animal lard/fat, no cheese, no eggs, no diary at all. Some vegans even go as far as to not use animal animal products like silk or leather for clothes either!

This ended up being much more difficult that I had envisioned only because so many processed foods include milk, cheese, or eggs even in small amounts. I did three days, then skipped a day because holiday food and that last day of school celebration tempted me, then I did three more days and made up the skipped day later on. In the end, I really dont have any desire to become vegan (or even vegetarian for that matter), but I wanted to give it a try. And now my vegan days are over :)

No comments: