"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Saturday, January 07, 2012

Number 25: Make all my yogurt, jam, and bread from scratch



I havent bought a jar of jam from the store for nearly 2 years. Or loaf of bread for well over a year now. Yogurt...I may have bought a few here and there especially in the summer when I wasnt home or while travelling, but when I'm at home I'm making in all myself from scratch. My jam has been a big hit for myself and also for my friends, especially the flavors that use tundra berries that I've gathered myself in the fall every year. I've been experimenting with yogurt flavors and have found that I really like adding honey and peach. Or just making it plain and mixing in some tundra berry jam when I'm eating it. The bread making has been a much longer, more complex process. I've been making sourdough bread about once a week for over a year. My bread making skills have improved with practice, a new oven, and better bakeware. I've expanded out to try bagels, cornbread, cakes, pastries...all with sourdough. I think I'll be a sourdough baker forever now. It's become a part of my life and I like it!

No comments: