"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Oh, so good!

I've been waiting all summer for the first ripe tomato in the garden and it has finally arrived! I pulled this red grape tomato off the vine yesterday and popped it into my mouth. It was delicious!I remember not liking tomatoes until just a few years ago. Now, I love them! For some reason, I also remember having ripe tomatoes before I even left at the end of June last year. Maybe I planted earlier last year. Maybe I'm just making stuff up. I dont know.
Here is a shot of the biggest tomato in the garden so far. It is of the 'Better Boy' variety. Hopefully we'll get some ripe ones before I leave in three weeks.
Can you believe it? Three weeks from today we'll be getting on a plane back to Alaska. I just cant believe the summer went so fast.

Weather and sunlight update...
Van Wert...IT'S HOT! It's been in the 90's for two days now and is supposed to stay this way for another three days. We havent gotten any rain which keeps the humidity low(er), but everything is so dry. I think I'll actually have to water to tomatoes for the first time all summer. We were getting pretty regular summer storms, but those have all dried up. Thankfully, it still gets down to the 70's and even the 60's at night which allows Taboo and I to go on our nightly walks together without sweating to death. Last night, however, it was still almost 80 degrees when we went for a walk at midnight. We are still at about 15 hours of visible light each day from about 6am until 9pm. Tomorrow will be 1min and 32 seconds shorter.

Bethel...I havent kept THAT close an eye on Bethel's weather, but it seems that they have stayed pretty much in the 60's for their high all summer. I have not seen temps get into the 70's at all, but have seen them drop into the 50's a couple times. They have been getting a bit of rain and even set a record for most rainfall a couple days ago with .49 inches. Bethel is still at about 20 hours of visible light each day from about 5am until 1am. Tomorrow will be 4min and 16 sec shorter.

No comments: