"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Any Suggestions?

I was bored last night and couldn't sleep. I wish I had a book to read, but I've read all the ones that I have. I think I'll take a trip to the library soon and see if my library card is still valid. Meanwhile, does anyone have any suggestions of good books they've read lately?


My latest read...The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult. It is about a girl who gets raped and then the family and the town she lives in dealing with the aftermath. The really interesting thing to me about this book, though, is that it is partially set in Bethel, Alaska and the Kuskokwim delta. The girls father was born and raised in one of the villages where his mom was a teacher. We get to read pieces of his story through her story and at the end the girl runs away to Bethel. The author does a great job of relaying what it would be like for a kuss'aq (white person) to grow up in a native village. The author really did her research well. Would recommend.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Hey Alisha...I don't think we've ever met..I teach in Oscarville. I read some awesome books this summer. Check them out on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alisha,

I posted on Chandra's blog. I don't post pics without asking Chandra's permission first. Thank you for giving her a gentle nudge. I looked at your Bethel weather map temp., when it read 54 our temp here read 66. The "summer" is half gone!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

I'm a complete stranger who stumbled upon your blog through "I Think This World Is Perfect," where you posted a comment. I highly recommend the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer if you haven't read them already. I just read them for the second time in preparation for the 4th book in the series. It's young adult fiction (a category in which I don't really fit--a mid-30's teacher), but I really enjoyed it. There's a lot to think about, and it's just plain fun to read. I also think the summer has flown by, and am intrigued by the fact that you face not only going back to school (uggh, at the moment), but back to Alaska (very cool).