"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Lone Mountain Sand

I went frisbee golfing the other day at a park that is all the way out on the far NW side of the city. The easiest way to get back to where I needed to be after I was finished was to hop on the new highway, the 215. To get to the frisbee golf course and then to the new highway, I drove for miles and miles through neighborhoods and parts on town that didnt exist when I was growing up. It was weird. It bogles my mind how big Vegas is now and how fast it has gotten that big. As I was passing Lone Mountain, I looked out and thought it would be a perfect opportunity to collect some Vegas sand. The patches of desert that are left in Las Vegas are few and far between these days and most of them are fenced in to deter the bums from making them home. This patch of desert was undisturbed and still had native plants and wildlife it it. So, I got out of the car and filled an old water bottle half way up with sand from the base of Lone Mountain.While I was out there, I also snapped a few pics of the city in the distance. In the picture above, you can see the strip and the mountains to the south were you would find communities such as Henderson and Green Valley (technically part of Henderson). Click on the pictures to make them larger. And in the bottom pic, you can see Sunrise mountain in the far distance on the East side of the city. My cousins house (where I'm living this summer) is right at the base of Sunrise, so that shows you how far from home I was. I have so far collected two sand samples for Number 22 on the Birthday List. The first one is a sample from the Kuskokwim river in Bethel. The second is from the base of Lone Mountain. I have plans to go and collect a sample from the base of Sunrise mountain soon. I also have plans to get a sample from the white sands in New Mexico, then I'll only need one more to complete Number 22.

No comments: