"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

On my way!

I leave for Kotzebue tomorrow at noon. I am the female chaperone for the band trip to the regional competition. I am excited. To view Kotzebue's webpage, click here.

Kotzebue is on the very tip of the Baldwin pennisula. These arial photos are from Google maps and taken from this website.
Kotz is above the Arctic circle and located on a sand spit in the Chukchi Sea. See that little white rim sticking out of the top left corner of the pennisula? Yep...that's where I'm headed!

Here's a pic taken on a sunshiny day. This is NOT what it will look like when I go. Right now it is 2 degrees. The highs this week are right around 10 above and the lows right around 10 below. The population is approx. 3000 and about 70% native Inupiaq Eskimo. For a great description of the city, region, and people, click here.
There is quite a bit more daylight there, almost 15 hours already, compared to 14 hours here in Bethel. Dawn is actually at about 6:30am and dusk at about 11:30. That means if I want to catch any aurora action, I'll have to be up after midnight or before 5. One really cool thing about being this far north is that the moon never sets. It is just up all the time! Crazy!
This is more like what it will look like for me when I get there tomorrow. We fly out of Bethel at about 2:30, then have a 2 hour stop in Anchorage before heading way up north. We get to Kotz at about 7:30pm. We will be there until Sunday at about 2. We get back to Bethel on Sunday evening at about 9pm.Want to hear the best part? I get to sleep on the floor of a classroom with 13 band girls for the next 4 nights! YAY me!

I dont know if I'll be able to connect to the internet while I'm there or not, but as soon as I can, I'll post some pics of Kotz and fill you in on the details. Until then...

You have homework...
How many words or short phrases can you come up with using only these letters?

ACGHILMPSTV



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT adventure. Can't wait to see and hear your stories.

Edna

Anonymous said...

Alisha wanted me to let everyone know that she can't get onto her blog, as it is blocked at the school she's staying at...
Damn censors