"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Saturday, February 23, 2008

If there aren't any injuries....

Tonight I was on my way home from the basketball game when I passed a fender bender. As I passed, I saw that it was my neighbor who had been rear-ended by one of the high school students leaving the game. So, I did a loop around the block and stopped to see if anybody needed help. My neighbors truck was not even scratched, but the kids' vehicle was pretty bashed up in the front. I asked if they needed any help. My neighbor said he had asked a cab that drove by to call the cops and was going to wait for them. Chandra was with me so I ran her home and called the police from her place to see if they knew about the accident.

So, I dialed the nonemergency number and the conversation went something like this....

Operator: Bethel Police.
Me: There's an accident out in front of the high school. I just wanted to see if it had been reported.
Operator: Is anyone injured?
Me: No, I don't think so.
Operator: We don't send anyone out unless there is an injury.
Me: Oh, uhhhhhhhhhh, what should they do then?
Operator: They need to come down to the station, pick up the forms, fill them out, and send them to Juneau.
Me: Uh...ok, thanks.

So, not only do the police NOT come to the scene of an accident, but then you have to go pick up the paperwork, fill it out yourself, and mail it to Juneau!

I swear I'm not living in the United States anymore!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alisha, this practice is becoming common in many other states and localities.

John Pokrzywinski