"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Freedom Trail

 Spent a weekend in Boston.  It just happened to be the same weekend as the bicentennial of the War of 1812 and the weekend before Independence Day.  We didnt plan it that way, but it was an interesting weekend to be there with lots of events happening and lots of people in town.
 We saw the graveyard were Paul Revere and other famous people are buried, including 3 signers of the Declaration of Independence, all 5 Boston Massacre victims, Mother Goose, and George Washington's parents.
 We walked under the patio from which the Declaration of Independence was read to the people of Boston and where the Boston Massacre took place.
 We took the water ferry over to Charlestown because the Tall Ships were in town to celebrate the War of 1812.  We saw the USS Constitution among other ships.
 From there, we continued following the Freedom Trail over to Bunker Hill Monument.  We took a break and laid on the lawn under the towering obelisk.
 The quaint little side streets were picturesque and my body was sore from all the walking around the city on the concrete.
 We had dinner at a sea side crab shack because Erin was compelled to "beat some crab".  We had to wait hours for a table, but we had a great view of the city and dinner was delicious.

The next day, I did a free audio tour of the bay that I downloaded from the Boston Tourism website.
 I enjoyed spending the day seeing some more of Boston on my own.
 There were a few tall ships out in the harbor firing cannons at each other as part of a reenactment of the war of 1812.
I really enjoyed spending part of my summer on the east coast.  I visited many places that I've never been before.  My Boston trip ended with a Norah Jones concert at the Boston Pavillion. 
She put on a great show and the venue was very enjoyable.  It was the perfect end to my visit to the east coast.

No comments: