"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Marimba Time!!!

As a part of the Art Institute, a local art studio set up a marimba workshop for us. So, we spent 2 hours on Saturday learning how to play these African instruments. We learned a song from Zimbabwe. It's kind of like a xylophone, but with wooden bars. Above-I'm playing the big bass marimba. Below-learning how to play the lead.
Learning, learning, learning...doing art, art art. I've learned so much about the arts over the last week. And I've had a TON of fun doing it. Can't wait to get back to school and start sharing all I've learned with my students.
I wanted something more challenging, so she taught me the lead. It was more challenging, but I got it eventually. I sure would love to have these instruments to teach with in school. It's about $10,000 for a complete set.
Take some time to goof off too!!! Here's the song we learned....enjoy!

2 comments:

Tamara said...

Good for you! We have an Orff ensemble at school (it's an elective class) with the same/similar instruments--all types of percussion, xylophones, etc...the kids love them, and many times it's surprising the musical talent that comes through.
It would be a great thing to get at your school if you could swing it---maybe write a grant?

Cindi said...

good job!!!!!how fun...thx for sharing