"A mind once stretched by a new idea can never regain its original dimensions." ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Current Weather Info

Current Sun and Moon Info

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Number 15: Find a good sourdough cookbook and try at least 5 recipes


I finally bought this book after weeks of holding my friend and neighbor's book hostage. I also bought a second book and have made several of the recipes out of it, but we'll focus on this one. Last time I was in Anchorage, I picked up about 7 different kinds of flours so that I could try my hand at baking various types of bread.

Here are the recipes that I have made out of this book so far...
Caraway Rye Bread
Cheese Onion Bread
Cinnamon Raisin Nut Bread
Cranberry Nut Sourdough
French Bread 1
Herb Bread (white and rye)
Oatmeal Bread
Seven Grain Cereal Sourdough
Rosemary Bread
Whole Wheat Bread
English Muffins
Yukon Flapjacks

I have been baking all of my own bread for several months now. I cant even remember the last time I bought a loaf of bread, but it was probably before Christmas. I've been getting better at it and I generally bake about 4 loaves per week. In fact, there are two loaves of French Bread in the oven now. I think the next one to try will be the Malt Beer Bread. Oh yes, I said Malt Beer Bread. Or maybe the Sunflower Bread or the Banana Batter Bread.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Oh, good for you---I love homemade bread! I found a recipe for beer batter bread that I've been meaning to try for a few weeks, and I just can't manage it.